Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Kolt's Birth


James and I went to the hospital at 7:30 a.m. on September the 9th for an induction. They started me on pitocin around 8:00 and we waited for contractions to start. Dr. Sawyer checked me around noon & I was still only 1 cm dilated. Even though I was only a 1, I was having some serious contractions every 3 to 4 minutes so I asked for an epidural. I don't see the point in being in pain when you don't have to be. I had the hardest time sitting still for my epidural because of my contractions. James kept reminding me to breathe because I have a bad habit of holding my breath when I am in pain. They told me that the epidural should start working within 30 minutes. Funny, I thought, with Kelton it worked instantly. Anyhoo, 30 minutes came & went and nothing. No relief at all. The doctor came back and re-threaded my epidural and still nothing. It was at this point I began to panic. I was already in so much pain & I now knew that an epidural was not going to work at all. Blast!!! They gave me some phenegran so that I could hopefully "sleep through the pain". Good one. All that did was make my eyes heavy. I could not sit still. I literally went from lying on the bed to sitting up & trying to hold myself off the bed with my arms over and over. I was dilated to a 3 at 3:00 p.m. & the nurse told me that we probably wouldn't have a baby until later that night. At that point, I started crying & moaning. I have never felt pain like that before and it is absolutely impossible to describe. Finally, Dr. Sawyer came in at 5:00 p.m. and I immediately started begging her to knock me unconscious & just pull the baby out. I was completely irrational. I felt like Elizabeth McGovern from She's Having a Baby when they are telling her to calm down & she won't listen. Fortunately, I was dilated to a 10. Hooray. Wait, did that mean I was actually going to have to push this thing out with no pain medicine. All the sudden that hit me & I started telling everyone that I was not going to push & they could not make me. As if that could be avoided. I was trying to think up every possible excuse as to why I could not do this. I couldn't really come up with a legitimate excuse so I finally started pushing. I was assured it would feel better to push than just sit there. Whatever. It hurt even worse. James, my mom and my 2 sisters were in the room with me. Poor Aubin, I looked up at one point and she was at the foot of the bed with tears streaming down her face. She said I made noises she had never heard a human make. Thankfully, I only had to push for 15 minutes. At 5:22 p.m. Jeffrey "Kolt" made his debut at 9 pounds & 1 ounce, 21.5 inches and with a head measuring in at 15.5 inches. Yikes. The weird thing was that as soon as he exited my body, I felt completely fine. Sore, obviously, but the pain was gone instantly. Well, I was able to deliver a large baby naturally, but I would never choose to do that again. Seriously, if my epidural does not work next time then I may take my own hammer to knock myself out. Every contraction, every wave of nausea, every bit of fear...it was worth it because now I have Kolt! WHAT A BLESSING!!!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

He is just precious! I know just how you felt. Man those epidurals just don't always work (mine leaked all over the floor instead of in my body!) The nurses and dr.s thought that was so funny. Me-not so much! I can't wait to meet Kolt!
CONGRATULATIONS!

Noe Family said...

Holy Cow girl!! You're a trooper. He's precious!

Amee said...

I am so happy for you and your family! And you can pat yourself on the back for getting through that extensive pain!
Congratulations!